Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Bosco sends another to Div 1

December 8, 2010


Ramsey (N.J.) Don Bosco quarterback Gary Nova has had some ups and downs over the past week. That's putting it mildly.


Nova remains committed to the Panthers.
The 6-foot-2, 210-pound quarterback led Don Bosco to a 37-27 victory over Bergen Catholic in the New Jersey Non-Public Group 4 state championship game.

That means Nova finished his high school playing career with a perfect record as a starting quarterback.

"I got better and became a better all-around player," Nova explained. "We didn't have a lot of seniors on the team so I had to step up as a leader and improve on my communication with the guys. I had to be positive on the field."

As exciting as that victory was, and as sweet as any championship is, the news that Dave Wannstedt had resigned at Pitt hit Nova like a ton of bricks and was tough to stomach.

"I was mostly just surprised," he said. "Coach Wannstedt had signed an extension and it seemed like everything was pretty much good. I thought he was going to be there. I guess that's the way college football is. It's a business and I understand that.

"That said, I'm sad to see him go because he's a good coach and a great person."

Nova said he has spoken with Pitt assistant coach Jeff Hafley each of the past two days and that has been very reassuring.

"Me and him have a great relationship," Nova said. "He's been 100-percent honest with me since the beginning.

"I've also talked to guys like Quinton (Alston) and Bill Belton. We want to stay strong with Pitt but we know if something happens we might have to make a change."

At this point Nova remains committed to Pitt and it would take a big change of course for him to reconsider and look at other options.

"I'm 100-percent committed," he continued. "Pitt is the place I want to play college football unless there's a full cleaning house of the coaching staff of there's a coach that comes in with an offensive scheme I don't want to run. I like all the guys they've got there now. I'm great friends with all the coaches.

"I like the offense they run now. It's a pro-style offense ... run the ball first, play action. I don't really want to be in a spread offense or anything like that where they want a running QB. None of that translates to the next level."

Nova is ranked the No. 11 pro-style quarterback in the nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment